A big thank you to Big Bluff and Sonya for typically excellent hosting of BRC LXXX (80) on Friday night. As expected, we all had a great time with excellent food and refreshments as well as much fun and good cheer. The Bluffs have done it again!
A few points to note from my perspective include –
· As per above, great food, including home made sausage rolls and carrot cake – many thanks to Sonya.
· Punter and GT were very much missed.
· Members were much impressed with the results of Maverick’s diet (the Ketosis diet I believe) and exercise regimen which are clearly working – the incredible shrinking man! Mav is about my height so I suggest he adopt a target of about my weight (66kg).
· Members were also pleased to see Developer pretty much recovered from his hip replacement surgery and apparently quite mobile – the surgery seems to have been completely successful and recovery rapid.
· The news that Jagger is more Greek than Italian, according to DNA testing, was a revelation. I assume that one of his forebears shortened the surname at some stage from Caristopoulos to Caristo. Developer is still awaiting his DNA ancestry test results but said that he expects a high proportion of African heritage based on the size of his “tackle”. This is typical banter from a young guy – he will start to grow up one of these days.
· Mav had us enthralled with the Greek translation of the words torch, lentils and envelope. BB had us in stitches suggesting that someone should ask in Greek for a torch to find lentils to put into an envelope.
· There seemed to be quite a few games involving more personal cards (three or four) and less community cards (less than five).
· Mav had done some research and found a few new games. His attempt to have a game called “the Good, the Bad and the Ugly” accompanied by the music from the movie didn’t quite work out – we heard the music after the game was complete. Nice idea though.
· The last sausage roll was awarded to the winner of the game that was being played at the time and I was the fortunate recipient of the delicious item. Wikipedia says that “a sausage roll is a British savoury pastry snack, popular in Commonwealth nations and beyond” so it should not be surprising that I am a fan. I don’t believe DNA testing would identify much Greek or African blood in me.
· We were amazed to hear from The Rok about the antics of Dan Murphys employees in relation to the Member’s specials – raiding the shelves of the older vintages and purchasing them themselves at the Member’s special prices. Shocking! However, Rok did offer to make acquisitions on behalf of BRC members so keep an eye on the special offers from Dan’s and if you want a piece of the action give him a call.
· Later in the evening (after the excellent coffee and cake break) BB offered drinks which was most appreciated by those who imbibed. Bushmills Irish whisky and Limoncello were popular choices.
· Banker was typically unpredictable and a couple of times kept raising despite having a hand of pretty much nothing/nought/nil/zero/zilch/nada/etc. Surely he didn’t think he would bluff everyone out? Come on, this is BRC!
· There were a few games played with no wild cards, which required significant re-setting of expectations even with a short deck.
· The final results have not yet been issued (by Jagger) but Developer was certainly the big winner on the day. He wound up with a stack red chips in front of him and for the last hour or so just sat back smugly rather than either push his luck or put his winnings at risk (protecting his lead). Anyway, congratulations to Developer.
Thanks again to Paul and Sonya. I look forward to catching up with you all at BRC LXXXI (81) in late November or early December.
Regards and best wishes to all.
Notes From Maverick
Thanks as usual Sniper - for a keen and incisive synopsis of the night.
Great effort from our hosts - especially Sonya - who was not feeling well - thank you so much.
Thanks for the kind words about Ketosis plan - but a slightly revised target will be around 95 kg by the time of my 60th Birthday party - will be over the moon in achieving that.
Just to prove the Sausage roll story - here is the photo.
The 5 new games introduced where:
Good Bad and Ugly - eventually with music
Irish Carss Park Holdum
Carss Park Omaha
Remarkably - BB had 3 choices which did not involve Wild Cards and on several occasions he folded after being re-raised - suspect he was catching what Sonya already had.
The great DM swindle was revealed by ROK - we do have that on tap incase it needs to be used in the future to keep him in line.
Since Jagger opened the door - I think we should have 1 Greek phrase per night which the members are required to learn - I will let you know at the next meeting.
For practice - merry christmas is:
Looking forward to the Christmas game - see you all then - if not sooner.
Notes From TC Jagger
Dear BRC Members
Thanks Sniper for the excellent and well written summary. As always a very good night, mixed in with some well prepared food from Mrs BB, who was a bit under the weather because she caught the 24 hour bug. Plenty of wine was available but we did not seem to attack the bottles.
Apart from the summary below from Sniper, the night seemed to be let’s target TC Jagger as he “deserved to win” particularly from Banker . Well the proof was in the cards. He certainly did win the night and only survived to win the last hand of the night to finish 2nd Last. The results are in and the updated table is attached.
Developer winner of the night collects 10 points with 1st place, followed by Sniper, BigBluff, Banker The Rok, The Professor, TC Jagger and at the rear Maverick collecting 3 points. The positions have tightened up and the gaps reduced.
The 2nd place of the night by Sniper has him now in 1st place on 32 pts, with TC Jagger pushed out to 2nd place on 31.5 points, just half a point behind. Followed by The Prof on 29 points, The Rok on 26 pts, Maverick and Banker equal 5th position on 22 pts , BB on 21 pts and Developer at the rear on 18.5 pts.
Last game due in Dec’17 time and location to be confirmed.